Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Big Black

Smooth morning run
Stephen Skarka booked his day on the water. He is a instructor of fly fishing for Penn State University and runs Kinzua fly fishing school. Apparently you can get 1 PE credit for taking his class. Patient and kind Stephen takes instruction from a charter guide extremely well. This was evident in the video we made on how to whip big fish.

Dark clouds poor visibility
The conditions that day were high water and not much sun. We saw nice redfish but Steve could not see them until to late because of the poor visibility. We scattered quite a few groups. Eventually the clouds broke open just long enough to spot fish. Luckily we were polling a bank with clean water and big redfish at that time. At the edge of a cove, Steve got some great shots over the next 30 yards on three bull redfish. All three allowed the fly to pass within striking range but they showed no interest. I spotted a large tail fanning like an Asian dancer in the shallows of an opening so I began to pole in that direction.

The tail showed a few more times allowing me to call the spot and Steve to get a bead on the fish off in the distance. By the time we arrived the sun was shrouded by clouds. I held the boat in place and scanned the area for quit a while. The shadow of an outline appeared so I called for the cast. Steve shot his line and landed far right of the fish. I said trying to be polite "You must be casting at a different fish than the one I see." This does happen a lot. I sight one fish and the client sees another. Anyway Steve calmly took another shot that landed on target. The big fish began to slowly follow. At this point I could not definitely identify the species. I had my suspensions though, Big Black drum.

"He ate it" I exclaimed and Steve raised his rod in the traditional trout hook set style. I called for a better hook set as the fish made the first run. Steve gave a tug on the tight line. This tug was not near strong enough for my liking, but I try not to over correct the clients. Steve fought the fish while regaling me with destination stories of large browns and steelhead. Since the last trips fish took so long to land, I decided to give a lesson on how to whip a big fish.
Huge 34 pound Black drum
Check out the size of that tail

After 30 minuets I hand landed the 34 pound Black Drum. Steve was  delighted. I was hoping for a redfish but the client did not care at all about the species. This was his first saltwater fish on fly and it was huge. Smiles and congratulations followed as a well deserved calmness fell over the boat.




No comments:

Post a Comment